kernel panic on Fedora 8 - a serious bug!

Jim van Wel jim at coolzero.info
Thu Feb 21 12:17:09 UTC 2008

Hi there,

You got a com port available? And a laptop or other computer with a com
port? If so, change your grub like this:

title Fedora 8 (2.6.23.15)
        root (hd0,0)
        kernel /vmlinuz-2.6.23.15 ro root=/dev/md1 console=tty0
console=ttyS0,115200
        initrd /initrd-2.6.23.15.img

So the kernel is also pumping the information via the first com port.
Start minicom at the other machine, select right setting for baudrate
115200 and voila. You will see output, even when it crashes.

This is really then the only way to see if the kernel is really crashing
at something. I have the luxery here to have console servers with buffers.
So if a machine crashes, I can read the buffer of the output, and see what
happened.

Good luck!

Greetings,
Jim.

> On Wed, Feb 20, 2008 at 4:26 PM, Jim van Wel <jim at coolzero.info> wrote:
>> Hi there,
>>

>>  > How do I capture it? My desktop is frozen and I can't open the cli.
>>
>>  First try to get in a console with CTRL + ALT + F1 to see if your X is
just frozen and not the whole system. Because how could you know it's
really a kernel panic. If so, sometimes it's somewhere in
>>  /var/log/messages if you are lucky. If not, disable the NetworkManager
>> for
>>  now and try to debug like loading and unloading the modules by hand.
>> For
>>  instance:
>>
>>  rmmod modulename
>>  modprobe modulename
>>
>>  and see if it crashes.
>>
>>  Greetings,
>>  Jim.
>
> My caps lock led i blinking and everything is frozen... not even
CTRL-ALT-F1 is working. I believe this is a kernel panic.

> I'll think it is not iwl3945 module, because it is loaded before gone is
starting... maybe it is something in NetworkManager or in some way
connected with AP using WPA encryption...

http://counter.li.org. ICQ: 2125241, Skype: valent.turkovic