command line sms tool

Thomas Cameron thomas.cameron at camerontech.com
Thu Feb 21 22:26:59 UTC 2008

On Wed, 2008-02-20 at 16:01 +0100, Andrew Kelly wrote:
> On Wed, 2008-02-20 at 14:34 +0100, Manuel Arostegui Ramirez wrote:
> > El Miércoles, 20 de Febrero de 2008 14:29, Andrew Kelly escribió:
> > > Hi y'all,
> > >
> > > can any of you recommend a command-line tool for sending an SMS to a
> > > cell phone? Half an hour of googl'ing has brought me only outdated,
> > > half-finished or modem dependant stuff of little or no value.
> > >

> > I've used gnokii to send sms by using a cell phone plugged in a serial port.
> > Try it.
> >
> > Manuel.
>
> Hi Manuel, thanks for that tip. Unfortunately, it's not something that
> I'll be able to use. This is something I'll be running on remote
> machines, that most certainly don't have a cell attached to them.
> In a nutshell, the problem is this: My boss is too cheap to provide a
> pager server, and my cell phone service provider cannot offer me the
> possibility of accepting e-mail on my cell. Basically, all I want to do
> is be notified on my cell by any of my servers, should certain
> conditions arise. Since I can't send an e-mail to my phone, I'd like to
> send and SMS. And I need to be able to script the action, ergo
> command-line.

I found out quite by accident that my cellular provider has a mail to
sms gateway.  I sent a text message from my phone to an e-mail address
instead of to another phone, and when it came in I could reply to it via
e-mail and it would come to the phone as sms.  I captured my phone's
e-mail address and now my servers send me sms messages all the time.

Give it a try, see if it works.

Thomas