Fedora 8: tcsh .history file destroyed on exit?

Mikkel L. Ellertson mikkel at infinity-ltd.com
Thu Feb 21 22:27:22 UTC 2008

James Frye wrote:
>>> I have two perhaps related other problems. First, tcsh was not
>> installed
>>> by the install system. I had to compile it from source. Second,
>>> the root user does not source its .tcshrc file when I su or log
>>> in as root. I have to do this manually. >
>> Dumb question - why did you compile it from source instead of
>> running "yum install tcsh"?
>
> Perhaps dumber answer: what's "yum"?  I don't mean that as a literal
> question, and I can do a search for more info now that you've given me
> a hint. I mean how should I know about it, when it's not mentioned in
> any installation instructions I've ever seen?
>
> As to why I compiled from source, how else would I do it?  To me that's
> the normal way to install most software (except for a few proprietaty
> things like Acrobat) that doesn't come with a distribution - and indeed,
> some that does.  I generally recompile the kernel once I have a new system
> up & running...
>
> Thanks,
> James

Well, tcsh is included in the distribution. But not all the packages
included with the distribution are on the install DVD. They will not
all fit. So if you want more software, you can use yum from the
command line, or one of the GUI front ends like yumex. It is also
the program that handles updates. Others have pointed out where to
find the documentation on it, so I will not go into that again. But
it is hard to manage a Fedora system without at least a little
knowledge of YUM and RPM.

With Fedora, the normal way to install software is to install an
RPM. Most of what you will need is already packaged that way. If you
need something that is not already packaged as an RPM, they you can
always build you own. There may already be a .spec file included
with the source code to help you.

Mikkel