Fedora 8 x86-64 and NVRAID

Raymond C. Rodgers rh at bbnk.dhs.org
Fri Feb 22 01:35:39 UTC 2008

A couple months ago, I reinstalled Windows XP Pro and Fedora 8 on my
machine which has the Asus M2NBP-VM CSM motherboard featuring NVidia's
NForce 430B chipset. I have a primary boot drive that is not a part of
the raid but which boots both WinXP and Fedora just fine, and I have a
RAID 1 set up with two 100 GB drives, formatted with NTFS.

Now, under Windows I have MediaShield installed and running which allows
me to check the RAID status, but Windows has always treated the two
drives in the array as a single device even during installation.

Fedora, on the other hand and despite what I've read, is showing the two
individual volumes and mounts both automatically. I can read and write
to either volume separately, but when I boot into Windows I sometimes
lose data because the drives weren't in sync. This is my first
experience with a RAID setup, and I'm not sure what I need to do to get
Fedora recognizing the RAID properly. I did some searching before this
post, and it seems that other people using FC6 were surprised at the
fact that Fedora "just worked" and only mounted their arrays as a single
volumes.

Did I miss something? Any ideas what I can do to remedy this situation?

Thanks,
Raymond