virtualbox and USB support on fedora?

Luciano Rocha strange at nsk.no-ip.org
Fri Feb 22 10:15:38 UTC 2008

On Fri, Feb 22, 2008 at 05:05:28AM -0500, Robert P. J. Day wrote:
> On Fri, 22 Feb 2008, Luciano Rocha wrote:
>
> > On Fri, Feb 22, 2008 at 04:55:05AM -0500, Robert P. J. Day wrote:
> > >
> > >   i'm perusing the user guide for virtualbox and i read the following:
> > >
> > > "In order to use VirtualBox’s USB support, the user account under
> > > which you intend to run VirtualBox must have read and write access to
> > > the USB filesystem (usbfs)."
> > >
> > >   isn't that statement a bit out of date?  i don't see usbfs in use
> > > any more on a standard fedora system, so i'm just assuming that claim
> > > above is out of date.
> >
> > $ grep usb /proc/mounts
> > /proc/bus/usb /proc/bus/usb usbfs rw 0 0
> >
> > $ cat /etc/fedora-release
> > Fedora release 8 (Werewolf)
>
> whoops, you're right, i was just looking at the output of "mount".  my
> fault.  so how would i technically add R/W access to that filesystem
> for my user account?  is that a udev feature?  thanks.

I never had to mess with the permissions of /proc/bus/usb before.
VMware and userland drivers (printers, scanners) have always worked for
me, so I'm not sure.

Udev should be the proper place, but you can easily fix the permissions
by running:

sudo mount none /proc/bus/usb -o remount,devuid=$UID

Or, if you don't have sudo configured:

su -c "mount none /proc/bus/usb -o remount,devuid=$UID"

--
lfr
0/0