Adding a logical volume

Timothy Murphy gayleard at eircom.net
Fri Feb 22 13:58:52 UTC 2008

Colin Paul Adams wrote:

>     Jim> Colin Paul Adams wrote:
>     >> I have uninitialized disk space on my disk (/dev/sda), and I
>     >> have the Logical Volume Management GUI tool system-config-lvm
>     >> 1.1.1 running and looking at the unpartitioned space.
>     >>
>     >> How do I create a new logical volume group in that space (the
>     >> obvious way seems to be to press the Initialize entity button,
>     >> but that is greyed out)?
>
>     Jim> You might need to initialize the disk and toggle the
>     Jim> partition to lvm with fdisk or another disk management tool
>     Jim> first. I read that people have setup lvm without partitions a
>     Jim> long while back but not much lately about lvm with no
>     Jim> previous partitions setup.
>
> How do I do this?
>
> I have tried with fdisk and got lost.
> I added an extended partition, then tried to change its system id to
> 8e (LVM). It wouldn't let me.
>

> I don't know how to invoke Disk Druid.
>
> Are there instructions for this anywhere?

Not sure if this is relevant,
but as I understand it you have to create LVM in a partition
like /dev/sdb2 .

So the first step is to create such a partition with fdisk.
You should give it the LVM partition type (with fdisk),
though I am not sure if this is necessary.

Then you do something like this:
----------------------------------
[tim at carrie ~]$ sudo pvcreate /dev/sdb2
  Physical volume "/dev/sdb2" successfully created
[tim at carrie ~]$ sudo vgcreate vg /dev/sdb2
  Volume group "vg" successfully created
[tim at carrie ~]$ sudo vgdisplay vg
  --- Volume group ---
  VG Name               vg
[tim at carrie ~]$ sudo lvcreate -L 20G -n slash vg
  Logical volume "slash" created
[tim at carrie ~]$ sudo lvcreate -L 10G -n home vg
  Logical volume "home" created
[tim at carrie ~]$ sudo lvcreate -L 2G -n swap vg
  Logical volume "swap" created
[tim at carrie ~]$ sudo lvdisplay vg

Nb Keep /boot out of the LVM, or grub won't see it.

I've never used a system-config program for this.
On the whole I'd prefer not to.

--
Timothy Murphy
tel: +353-86-2336090, +353-1-2842366