Adding a logical volume

Colin Paul Adams colin at colina.demon.co.uk
Fri Feb 22 14:52:28 UTC 2008

    Jim> Colin Paul Adams wrote:
> >> I have uninitialized disk space on my disk (/dev/sda), and I
    >> system-config-lvm >> 1.1.1 running and looking at the
    >> unpartitioned space.

    >> (the >> obvious way seems to be to press the Initialize entity
    >> button, >> but that is greyed out)?
    >>
    Jim> You might need to initialize the disk and toggle the
    Jim> partition to lvm with fdisk or another disk management tool
    Jim> first. I read that people have setup lvm without partitions a
    Jim> long while back but not much lately about lvm with no
    Jim> previous partitions setup.
    >>
    >> How do I do this?
    >>
    >> I have tried with fdisk and got lost.  I added an extended
    >> partition, then tried to change its system id to 8e (LVM). It
    >> wouldn't let me.
    >>

    >> I don't know how to invoke Disk Druid.
    >>
    >> Are there instructions for this anywhere?

    Timothy> Not sure if this is relevant, but as I understand it you
    Timothy> have to create LVM in a partition like /dev/sdb2 .

    Timothy> So the first step is to create such a partition with
    Timothy> fdisk.  You should give it the LVM partition type (with
    Timothy> fdisk), though I am not sure if this is necessary.

Yes I did this now. I don't know why it worked the first time.

But now I have got into a terrible mess. I accidentally chose to click
the box for a clustered volume group. And now I cannot get rid of
it. All commands (including vgremove) just skip the clustered volume
group.

How do I remove it (or mark it as non-clustered)?
--
Colin Adams
Preston Lancashire