Modem help

Mikkel L. Ellertson mikkel at infinity-ltd.com
Fri Feb 22 19:34:04 UTC 2008

max bianco wrote:
> Can someone point me to a good modem how to? I am trying to setup a
> dial-in server and I cannot detect my modem but it is listed in lspci.
> When i run wvdialconf i get no modem detected. I have tried several
> different modems, lspci lists them but my configuration is obviously
> lacking somewhere, i have used the setserial command but apparently not
> correctly. i have read and followed several how to's but none by itself
> seems complete. Can anyone help by pointing me to a good source for
> modem config on  Redhat and clones. I know not all modems are compatible
> so a suggestion for an internal modem that is know to work is also
> welcome. I have a lot of old internal modems lying around so one is
> bound to be compatible. I have tried conextant, agere, ESS, and
> smartlink internal modems. From what I understand I'd have better luck
> with an external modem but I don't have one lying around so.....
>
> Thanks,
>
> Max

Let me make sure I understand what you are trying to do. If I am
reading things right, you want people to be able to dial into your
machine, and log in (or make a ppp connection). If this is the case,
you need to configure mgetty for the ports you want. You then need
to create entries for each line in /etc/inittab. They used to
include examples in inittab, but they do not any more. There are
examples in the inittab man page. There is also a fair amount of
documentation included in the gmetty package.

Mikkel