Modem help

Mikkel L. Ellertson mikkel at infinity-ltd.com
Sat Feb 23 00:48:52 UTC 2008

max wrote:
> My modem is recognized. It is a different card than before.
>
>  $dmesg | grep -i tty
> console [tty0] enabled
> serial8250: ttyS0 at I/O 0x3f8 (irq = 4) is a 16550A
> serial8250: ttyS1 at I/O 0x2f8 (irq = 3) is a 16550A
> 00:05: ttyS0 at I/O 0x3f8 (irq = 4) is a 16550A

I would expect a PCI card to have a different I/O port and irq.
These are the values common to motherboard serial ports.

> then :
>  $wvdialconf  /etc/wvdial.conf
> Editing `/etc/wvdial.conf'.
>
> Scanning your serial ports for a modem.
>
> ttyS0<Info>: Device or resource busy
> Modem Port Scan<*1>: S0
> ttyS1<Info>: Device or resource busy
> Modem Port Scan<*1>: S1
> ttyS2<Info>: Device or resource busy
> Modem Port Scan<*1>: S2
> ttyS3<Info>: Device or resource busy
> Modem Port Scan<*1>: S3
>

> Sorry, no modem was detected!  Is it in use by another program?
> Did you configure it properly with setserial?

This looks more like a permission problem with the serial ports. One
of the changes that was made is that the owner of the console no
longer owns all the serial ports. You may have to run the scan as
root. I don't normally recommend running as root though.

> This is where i got stuck before. I am not using setserial properly. I
> can execute the command but i am assigning the wrong values i think but
> my syntax is ok or I would get an error from bash. One thing,at least,
> is clear, i do not understand the setserial command or what to set the
> values to.

You may want to take a look at http://www.linmodems.org/ to see if
any of your modem cards are supported.

Mikkel