Open-ended comment about F8 and above hardware issues

Michael W Cocke cocke at catherders.com
Sat Feb 23 02:22:41 UTC 2008

On Fri, 22 Feb 2008 18:57:09 -0600, you wrote:

>Michael W Cocke wrote:
>> Just a passing comment - hopefully it will start a discussion and I'll
>> learn something.  I have a pair of seriously hacked P4 systems (3 IDE
>> controllers including the motherboard, all IDE controllers fully
>> populated, 2 NICs, 3.6+ TB, 2 GB of ram).  I can install Fedora 7 on
>> them and it works pretty well 'out of the box'.  Try to go to any
>> higher version and the installer dies, or data is corrupted as it's
>> written, or any number of other bad things.
>>
>> What did they change that makes such a huge difference?  I know the
>> hardware is weird and I'd understand if Fedora never worked, but it
>> worked great - up to F8.
>>
>They changed the IDE drivers that are being used, and are treating
>all the drives as SCSI drives when you get above the hardware
>specific drivers.
>
>Mikkel

I knew about everything being handled as SCSI, but I didn't make the
connection that it was using completely different IDE drivers.(Duh!)
Apparently the new drivers are much less robust.

Is there a way to revert back to the older drivers?

Mike-
--
If you're not confused, you're not trying hard enough.