Running Fedora 8 side-by-side with Fedora 7

Bill Davidsen davidsen at tmr.com
Sun Feb 24 04:51:47 UTC 2008

Chris G wrote:
> Are there any problems or issues with running a dual boot system with
> both Fedora 8 and Fedora 7?
>
> I currently have Fedora 7 (/, /usr, /var, etc) on one disk (/boot is on
> the same disk) and /home on a separate disk.
>
> I'm aiming to add a third disk and install Fedora 8 on that one using
> the same /home as Fedora 7 does.
>
> I believe the new installation should find the existing /boot and
> simply add itself into the grub installation there, is this right?

I think I tried that once, or to be accurate I tried to try that once.
The other version blew away some splash screens and other stuff in
/boot, so backup is in order. I currently dual boot x86 and x86_64 by
hand copying a few stanzas of each boot file from to the other
grub.conf, and that does work.

> I am then aiming to migrate customisations across from Fedora 7 to
> the Fedora 8 installation and when it's all working OK I will move
> across completely.

Beware that applications save stuff in hidden directories in /home, then
a new version may change the format or content of the files and make
both versions unhappy. There are various solutions, if anyone wants to
discuss I'll give details. Note - this may or may not be an issue, but
you do want to be aware of it.

--
Bill Davidsen <davidsen at tmr.com>