Virtualizing Windows Vista

sebastian at when.com sebastian at when.com
Sun Feb 24 20:09:49 UTC 2008

Henning Larsen wrote:
> On Sun, 2008-02-24 at 12:35 -0600, Mikkel L. Ellertson wrote:
>> Henning Larsen wrote:

>>> You can use vmware-serve which is free, or use qemu, kvm, xen which is
>>> included in fedora, depending on your processor's capabilities.
>>>
>> Isn't there also a restriction on what versions of Vista you can
>> virtualize? I remember reading something about Vista home not
>> working. (Microsoft restriction.)
>>
>> Mikkel
>
> I think it is about what you are allowed to do, myself I don't care and
> have virtualized the home premium version. BTW isn't it hard for an os
> to know it's running virtualized?
>
> Henning

Well, here [1] is an article on CNET on it. I think you're allowed, to
run Windows Vista virtualized. But with some versions, you need to
purchase another license key (if you want to run it virtualized & real).
On the other hand, AFAIK, you're allowed to run the Enterprise (the one
for large businesses) or the Ultimate version virtualized without
purchasing a new product key. But concerning this, I'm not really sure,
so I recommend you to look it up first...

Sebastian

[1] http://www.news.com/8301-13860_3-9854621-56.html