Problems creating a new user

Brent Snow, Mr. brent.snow at mcgill.ca
Mon Feb 25 14:16:01 UTC 2008

Hi All,

            We work in a University environment with users all users
having homes on centrally located server, with computers running around
the campus. We are running Fedora Core 5, 6, 7 (kind of a mix). All of
the homes are shared via NFS, with NIS doing being used for the
auto.home to mount homes when a user logs on to the system. All of the
systems use LDAP and are part of our Windows Active Directory, for
password authentication.

            Recently I needed to create a new home for a user (I crated
the home on the server) then had the user log into Fedora with her
Windows account information. Instead of crating all of the "DOT" files
and profile settings etc. The desktop just complained that it could not
find the files it needed and would not continue. I checked to make sure
that she has full access to the directory (home) and that it is owned by
the right user. Still it will not create the right files. I have tried
coping the files from another user and changing owner to this user, yet
the system still refused to access the files, complaining that they did
not match and could not find X.

            Any ideas?

            Thanks in Advance.

            Brent