RAID10 not working in install

Bill Davidsen davidsen at tmr.com
Mon Feb 25 20:54:43 UTC 2008

Alan Cox wrote:
>> The raw read speed on a RAID1 array is the speed of a single drive. The
>>

> No. A smart raid1 driver will use both source disks. The raw write speed
> is that of the slowest drive (plus overhead).

Does this mean that the Linux software RAID is not smart, or there's a
way to make it actually do this?  Current FC[678] doesn't seem to be
"smart."
> RAID 10 gives you better write throughput which on a modern PC normally
> means that with PCI Express your bridge/memory bandwidth becomes the
> limit.

This is what I measure running an E6600 CPU and 3xSeagate 320 with
Recent FC7 kernel. All reads and writes to the raw array using dd, 1MB
buffer, 1GB i/o to/from /dev/{zero,null} for raw speed. Units are MB/s,
64k chunks, speed as reported by dd.

RAID lvl        read        write
0               110         143
1                52.1        49.5
10               79.6        76.3
10f2            145          64.5
raw one disk     53.5        54.7

--

Bill Davidsen <davidsen at tmr.com>
  "Woe unto the statesman who makes war without a reason that will still