kernel update warning

Valent Turkovic valent.turkovic at gmail.com
Mon Feb 25 23:28:29 UTC 2008

On Tue, Feb 26, 2008 at 12:01 AM, Kam Leo <kam.leo at gmail.com> wrote:
> On Mon, Feb 25, 2008 at 2:52 PM, Valent Turkovic
>
> <valent.turkovic at gmail.com> wrote:
>
> > On Mon, Feb 25, 2008 at 1:06 AM, Mark LaPierre <marklapier at aol.com> wrote:
>  >  > Valent Turkovic wrote:
>  >  >  > Hi,
>  >  >  > I just saw that opensuse 10.3 has an warning when there is a kernel update.
>  >  >  > Look how they handle this:
>  >  >  > http://www.uploadgeek.com/uploads456/0/new-kernel.png
>  >  >  >
>  >  >  > What do you think would this also be nice if Fedora had something like
>  >  >  > this or not?
>  >  >  >
>  >  >  > Cheers,
>  >  >  > Valent.
>  >  >  >
>  >  >  >
>  >  >  Hey Valent,
>  >  >
>  >  >  Fedora does notify you that a reboot is required if you update the
>  >  >  kernal.  When the updater is done running it asks if you  want to reboot
>  >  >  [NOW] or [LATER].  It's not a pretty splash screen, it just works.
>  >
>  >  You missed the point. Opensuse warns you BEFORE installing the kernel
>  >  and asks you if you want to update the kernel. Fedora just does it and
>  >  tells you that you should reboot as soon as possible.
>  >  Do you see the difference?
>  >
>  >
>  >  Valent
>
>  You are nit-picking. Most users want kernel security updates. Those
>  who have special requirements, e.g. only one particular version works
>  with their setup, will disable updating the kernel.

There are users who aren't aware that kernel updates can stop their
vmware, vitualbox and other apps that use custom compiled kernel
modules... I know that you can argue that users should know that
breaks and what doesn't break their apps, but still a finer grained
updates would be nice.

I also think that OpenSuse has some think like this "install only
updates that don't require a restart" (I don't use OpenSuse regulary
so I can't be absolute sure) and Mint Linux has even updates grained
with numbers 1-5, 5 being updates that are potentially dangerous to
break some functionality you have now (like kernels and graphics
drivers). So you can apply only updates with 3 and lower number and
only when you choose do the other "more dangerous" updates.

Do you see this as a nonsense or something that fedora would benefit from?

Valent.

--
http://kernelreloaded.blog385.com/
ICQ: 2125241, Skype: valent.turkovic