on boot, access beyond end of device

Mike -- EMAIL IGNORED m_d_berger_1900 at yahoo.com
Mon Feb 25 23:56:46 UTC 2008

On Mon, 25 Feb 2008 22:45:23 +0000, Mike -- EMAIL IGNORED wrote:

> On Mon, 25 Feb 2008 15:07:20 -0700, Phil Meyer wrote:
>
> [...]
>> compare the numbers between:
>>
>> # cat /proc/partitions
>>
>> and the first column of:
>>
>> # df
>>
>> What might have happened long long ago and far far away, is that fdisk
>> incorrectly calculated the partition size.  It has been known to do
>> that.
>>
>> Allot of the brand new Nokia N810s are shipping with this problem, due
>> to the manufacturer copying the disk image of a slightly different
>> model disk to the current one.
>>
>> If the partition sizes between those two commands do not match, then
>> you are at a trouble spot.  You should not add any more data to that
>> drive. The symptoms described match exactly the symptoms of filling up
>> a drive with invalid partition sizes.  It can work for years, as long
>> as you don't go above a certain percentage used, depending upon the
>> size of the error.
>>
>> I would recommend, if they do not match, that you backup, wipe,
>> repartition, mkfs, boot from rescue and check again, and if ok restore.
>
> Indeed they do not match.  I'll take the opportunity to upgrade to FC8.
>
> Thanks,
> Mike.

I just looked at one of my other boxes, an FC7, which appears to have a
similar mismatch, but I have not had a problem with it (yet).

[root at mbrc32 ~]# cat /proc/partitions
major minor  #blocks  name

   8     0   78150744 sda
   8     1     104391 sda1
   8     2   78043770 sda2
 253     0   75956224 dm-0
 253     1    2031616 dm-1

[root at mbrc32 ~]# df
/dev/mapper/VolGroup00-LogVol00
                      73575592  14177456  55600328  21% /
/dev/sda1               101086     18584     77283  20% /boot
tmpfs                   517536         4    517532   1% /dev/shm