Where does chkconfig write its settings?

Ed Greshko Ed.Greshko at greshko.com
Tue Feb 26 00:48:24 UTC 2008

Timothy Murphy wrote:
> Is it possible to change the settings of chkconfig
> on a system which is not running?
>
> Basically, I have a remote system running Fedora-7,
> but with Fedora-8 on a different disk,
> and I'd like sshd to run when Fedora-8 starts.
>
> Not important, I just wondered if it is possible.
> I couldn't see where chkconfig saves its settings.

That's because it doesn't....

 From the man page....

       chkconfig  provides  a  simple  command-line  tool  for  maintaining
  the /etc/rc[0-6].d directory hierarchy by relieving system administrators
  of the  task  of  directly manipulating the numerous symbolic links in those
directories.

So, the "settings" are simply the links themselves....

--
Say no, then negotiate.
		-- Helga