Treo USB no longer creating ttyUSB[01] devices???

Mark C. Allman mcallman at allmanpc.com
Tue Feb 26 13:57:27 UTC 2008

On Tue, 2008-02-26 at 08:11 -0500, Ray Curtis wrote:
> Mark C. Allman wrote:

> >> Dumb question - did you also copy the 60-pilot.perms to
> >> /etc/security/console.perms.d? This controls the
> >> ownership/permissions of the USB port. You will probably have to log
> >> out and back in for the rules to take affect.
> >>
> >> Mikkel
> >> --
> >
> > I didn't copy over the permissions file.  The ttyUSBn devices aren't
> > being created with the wrong permissions--they're not being created at
> > all.
> >
> > I gave up on most of these F8 bugs, to be honest.  I'll go back to
> > Windows for what doesn't work in F8.
> >
> > Question about another F8 bug: where does the "Shutdown" applet (menu
> > System -> Shut down...) get the "You are currently logged in as" value?
> > It shows on my system as "Unknown."  The "User Switcher" applet knows
> > who I am, but the "Shut down" applet doesn't.  Just curious, since it
> > isn't preventing anything from working.
> >

> Don't know if these have been suggested but,
> Have you also checked  that you have  loaded the visor  module with
> this entry in /etc/modprobe.conf :
> options visor vendor=0x0830 product=0x0061
>
> then do a modprobe visor
>

> --
> Ray Curtis         Unix Programmer/Consultant   Curtis Consulting
> mailto:ray at ccux.com                             http://www.ccux.com
>
> --
> believed to be clean.

I seem to recall sometime in the distant past that I set up modprobe
options on one of my systems.  What may have happened is that I set it
up when I was using F7, then when I updated to F8 the update process
blew away my settings.  I know that many other settings (e.g., power
management) were reset when I updated.  I see that the visor module is
loaded ("modprobe -l | grep visor") but I know I don't have any special
options set in modprobe.conf.

I'll try it this evening and see what happens.

-- Mark C. Allman, PMP
-- Allman Professional Consulting, Inc.
-- www.allmanpc.com, 617-947-4263

BusinessMsg -- the secure, managed, J2EE/AJAX Enterprise IM/IC solution