Automounting MP3 Player

Ric Moore wayward4now at gmail.com
Wed Feb 27 17:25:22 UTC 2008

On Tue, 2008-02-26 at 18:31 -0500, max wrote:
> Dave Cross wrote:
> > On Mon, Feb 25, 2008 at 9:34 PM, Dave Cross <davorg at gmail.com> wrote:
> >> I have an iRiver MP3 player. Previously, when I have attached it to my
> >>  Fedora system, it has been automatically recognised and mounted and an
> >>  icon has appeared on the desktop.
> >>
> >>  Just now when I plugged it in, I didn't get any of that happening. I
> >>  still got the following messages in /var/log/messages
> >
> > [ snip ]
> >
> >>  And I can still get access to the player by manually mounting
> >>  /dev/sdc5 to the appropriate directory. But it used to be an automatic
> >>  process and I'd like to get that functionality back.
> >>
> >>  I recently did a clean installation of Fedora 8 onto this system. I'm
> >>  pretty sure that it has worked since the upgrade (but I can't be 100%
> >>  sure of that).
> >
> > This gets weirder. This morning I rebooted the system, and everything
> > started working fine. When I plugged in the iRiver it was
> > automatically mounted and an icon appeared on the desktop.
> >
> > When I got home this evening and tried again, it had stopped working.
> > It was behaving the same way as I described yesterday. The computer
> > has been on all day with no-one using it.
> >
> > Not sure what is going on.
> >
> > Dave...
> >

> Are you sure the iRiver isn't failing? Does it work well when attached
> to another computer? I'd plug it into a different machine ( more than
> once) to make sure it performs as expected on a consistent basis. Are
> you always plugging into the same USB port? have you tried others? What
> other troubleshooting have you done?

This might sound lame, but was the iRiver turned on before plugging it
in? I think that is the way it has to happen. Or, turn it off, plug it
in, then turn it on. See what gives. Something would work all the time I
would think ...but I've been proved wrong before! Just a thought while
trouble shooting with a shotgun, Ric

http://www.sourceforge.net/projects/oar