cannot set speed to 1000/FD

Bill Davidsen davidsen at tmr.com
Wed Feb 27 21:45:40 UTC 2008

Steven C. Liu wrote:
> Folks,
>
> I recently replaced a FE 3Com card in my Linux server (hostname is
> imladris) with a Netgear GigE card.  I am unable to set it to 1000FD, no
> matter what I do.  I tried forcing it using 'ethtool -s', and setting
> autoneg off and on.  Rebooting didn't help.  Using a different port on
> my GigE switch/hub didn't help.
>
> BTW - I also put a duplicate Netgear GigE card into another Linux server
> (hostname is numenor; additional NIC, not a replacement -- if it
> matters).  On numenor, that NIC is at 1000FD.
>
> I have not yet tried swapping the port and ethernet cable between
> imladris and numenor...
>
> Any other suggestions?  I included some system information below.

I would think the obvious next step would be to swap the NIC which works
and the NIC that doesn't, and see if the failure stays with the system
or moves with the card. Or goes away, in which case you document and
either use or research depending on your nature and available time.

--
Bill Davidsen <davidsen at tmr.com>