How to build an apache webserver

Les Mikesell lesmikesell at gmail.com
Wed Feb 27 21:59:13 UTC 2008

Randy Easley wrote:

> Fedora includes apache.  If you don't have it already, just:
> yum install httpd httpd-devel
> and
> chkconfig httpd on
> service httpd start
>
> But if you are going to run this for serious production, I'd use RHEL or
>
> CentOS instead of fedora so you don't have to do frequent OS version
> updates with the associated stability risks.
>

> *This is only for home network practice. I have been using fedora for
> years some old redhat also, I have just never learned the basics of
> setting up a webserver and want to learn how. From the ground up.

If you really want 'ground up', grab the source from www.apache.org and
compile it. I don't recommend that these days since the packaged version
is fine and there are plenty of higher-level content managers and
add-ons that can suck up all your time.  What you should learn, though,
is what you can do in /etc/httpd/conf/httpd.conf and the pieces that get
included from /etc/httpd/conf.d/.

--
  Les Mikesell
    lesmikesell at gmail.com