Network Mangler assigns other IP to eth0??

Matthew Saltzman mjs at clemson.edu
Thu Feb 28 02:17:53 UTC 2008

On Wed, 2008-02-27 at 12:57 -0500, Ric Moore wrote:
> On Tue, 2008-02-26 at 09:34 +0100, Manuel Arostegui Ramirez wrote:
> > El Martes, 19 de Febrero de 2008 20:17, Arthur Pemberton escribió:
> > >
> > > I simply don't use NetworkManager on ethernet connections if I don't
> > > have the time to do troubleshooting.
> >
> > You hit the nail on the head
>
> This begs the question, what the hell is it good for? Maybe it would be
> better to jerk the thing out by the roots like a Mandrake, kicking and
> screaming, and be done with it. I dinked with all of my NFS mounts in my
> localnet until I broke everything, on all of my machines, REAL GOOD(tm)!
> Then I found the wonky eth0 address on my server. I appreciate being on
> the cutting edge, I just abhor getting an ass-beating to something
> mission critical like everyday networking.

It's just fine for managing wireless connections on a laptop or for
connecting to a wire network where DHCP provides the addresses.  It
needs some work to be a universal tool for network connectivity, but
that's underway.  I've encountered a few irritating little bugs, but the
only showstopper was a driver problem that prevented connection to a
network with a hidden SSID.

--
                Matthew Saltzman

Clemson University Mathematical Sciences
mjs AT clemson DOT edu
http://www.math.clemson.edu/~mjs