[F8 i386] Drive mount locations change at startup.

Robin Laing Robin.Laing at drdc-rddc.gc.ca
Thu Feb 28 17:59:29 UTC 2008

Bill Davidsen wrote:
> Scott wrote:
>> I've got 4 internal and two external hard drives.
>>
>> Every time I boot and log in I find at least one of my internal drives
>>  mounts in a different directory than it had previously (the others
>> may as well, but I've not yet noticed - read on).
>>
>> It's never the same directory (it's either "/media/disk"
>> "/media/disk-1", or "/media/disk-2" or "/media/disk-3").
>>
>> I've got a symlink from a directory in ~/ to a subdirectory on one of
>> my internal drives and it breaks with every boot.
>>
>> Is this a bug or a feature? ;)
>>
>> How might I get my drives to mount in the same place every time?
>>
> Use the UUID in /etc/fstab instead of whatever you are using now. Some
> people may use the filesystem label, but I'm always afraid that when or
> if I move the f/s to a larger device the name will not change, and if I
> plug in the old device it will mount. Using UUID will keep you from that
> particular problem.

If you put a label on your drive it will mount under the label.

If you name your drive Scott_1, it will be mounted as /media/Scott_1
not disk-x.  I do this with all my sticks and cards to identify them
easier.  It is nice at work as we all have the same brand/model/type of
stick.  I can plug mine in and my name shows up.

--
Robin Laing