Burning CDs

Phil Bass phil at stoneymanor.demon.co.uk
Thu Feb 28 18:32:27 UTC 2008

Bill Davidsen wrote:
> Phil Bass wrote:
>> Michael Schwendt wrote:

> Once upon a time I wrote a tool to simplify multisession backup with
> cdrecord. You can find it at http://www.tmr.com/~public and that will
> avoid some of the learning curve (it's still command line, though).
>
> Before you do anything else, try "cdrecord -atip dev=/dev/dvd" and see
> if you can get access to the device. You can also use "-prcap" in
> place of "-atip" just to see if you get data or a "can't find device"
> message. My one remaining current FC7 machine is working "just fine"
> for burning, I just converted some old Fedora interviews with various
> people from ogg to DVD so I can take them with me along with a DVD
> player.
OK, I tried "cdrecord -atip /dev/dvd1" with a CD-R in the drive and got
this:

Device type    : Removable CD-ROM
Version        : 5
Response Format: 2
Capabilities   :
Vendor_info    : 'PHILIPS '
Identification : 'DVD+-RW DVD8701 '
Revision       : '5D24'
Device seems to be: Generic mmc2 DVD-R/DVD-RW.
Using generic SCSI-3/mmc   CD-R/CD-RW driver (mmc_cdr).
Driver flags   : MMC-3 SWABAUDIO BURNFREE
Supported modes: TAO PACKET SAO SAO/R96R RAW/R16 RAW/R96R
ATIP info from disk:
  Indicated writing power: 4
  Is not unrestricted
  Is not erasable
  Disk sub type: Medium Type A, low Beta category (A-) (2)
  ATIP start of lead in:  -12508 (97:15/17)
  ATIP start of lead out: 359845 (79:59/70)
Disk type:    Short strategy type (Phthalocyanine or similar)
Manuf. index: 22
Manufacturer: Ritek Co.

I have only the vaguest idea what that means, but it looks OK to me.
I'll have another go at adding some photos to that disk tomorrow and I
might try your addir utility then.

Thanks for the link.

--
Phil Bass (phil at stoneymanor.demon.co.uk)