nv driver does not support VGA port?

Alan alan at clueserver.org
Thu Feb 28 19:17:25 UTC 2008

> Greetings,
>
> I have an HP Pavilion 2000 series laptop, and generally Fedora 8 works
> very well on it.  However, I have discovered that I cannot connect to
> an external screen projector.  As far as I can tell,
> there is no way to obtain output of any kind to the VGA connector.
> The driver is `nv', and the graphics hardware is NVIDIA GeForce Go
> 6150.  Apparently I cannot try an nvidia driver because I am running a
> 32-bit system on a 64-bit AMD processor (the Turion64x2), and there is
> only a 64-bit AMD version of the driver.
>
> Has anyone else encountered this problem?

Actually there is.

Connect the vga cable when the machine is off.  After you turn on the
machine, use the blue function key and F4 (with the picture of a blue
monitor plug) to toggle to the external monitor.

The 32 bit commercial driver should work fine on the 32 bit version of
Linux.  If you are using Fedora 9 alpha or the xorg from Rawhide, do NOT
install the commercial driver.  It will build. It will install.  It will
not work.  Fixing it is double-plug unfun.

The monitor app in the commercial driver is pretty useful.  You may still
need to connect the cables when the machine is off.  Seems to be a quirk
of the nVIDIA chipsets.  It does not see it if the device is not connected
when it initializes the chipset.

Hope that helps.