Disk encryption and installing new versions of Fedora

Rahul Sundaram sundaram at fedoraproject.org
Tue Jan 1 19:24:59 UTC 2008

Mike wrote:

>>From the references it would seem that the basic ideas are listed but
> if this is not targeted for a specific release then I guess it is not
> regarded as urgent for implementation? Or is it that there is not enough
> manpower available to work in this I wonder?

Work in ongoing and progress is being made. Some form of encryption
support has already been committed to the rawhide Anaconda branch for
example.

The feature process describe in
http://fedoraproject.org/wiki/Features/Policy explains the general
procedure. Whether a feature is targeted for a particular release is a
matter of resources available and the expectations of developers
involved on what can be accomplished within the specific release
schedule. This is pretty fluid though.

> It would be really nice to have this moved forward especially since in the
> UK there have been a number of high profile public losses of sensitive data
> which in some cases have been due to laptops being stolen.

It isn't likely to go any faster without more people involved. One way
to contribute is to test the latest rawhide version of the installer
(via the daily rawhide boot.iso image or the latest snapshot at
http://torrent.fedoraproject.org) and provide feedback on what
works/doesn't work to fedora-test list. More details at
http://fedoraproject.org/wiki/Testing.

Rahul