mouse versus touchpad, or cursor placement wars...

Konstantin Svist fry.kun at gmail.com
Sat Jan 5 04:38:12 UTC 2008

Tim wrote:
> Is there an easy way to get FC7 to ignore a touchpad while a mouse is
> plugged in, then go back to using the touchpad when the mouse is
> unplugged, automatically?
>
> Try as I might, I cannot stop my system from randomly doing something
> with the touchpad while typing, even though I'm not anywhere near
> contacting it, and the simplest solution would be to just plug in a
> mouse.
>
> The laptop came with two disable touchpad hotkeys (Fn + F9, and an extra
> special key), but naturally they don't work.  They don't actually do any
> disabling, they just send a keypress to trigger something else to do the
> work in software.  It's an Asus PRO31J F3JC Laptop

If you don't need tap-to-click, disabling it will solve your problem
once and for all.

Another solution is to ignore the touchpad for 1 second after the last
keypress - but this gets very annoying if you're a power user (read:
fast hands).

Other than this, you can check BIOS settings for disabling touchpad
while mouse is plugged in (but it might not work).

HTH