Upgrade Hard Drive

John Summerfield debian at herakles.homelinux.org
Wed Jan 9 19:34:31 UTC 2008

Tom Spec wrote:
> I am planning to move from one HD to another I need a bit of feedback.  I am partitioned as follows:
>
> sda1 /boot (Linux Partition) 256M
> sda2 LVM PV (Linux LVM Partition) 20G
>
> I was planning to.....
>
> 1) attach the new HD
> 2) boot to a rescue CD
> 3) partition the new HD exactly how the old one is

Just dd the whole drive. Saves steps 4-6.

> 4) dd if=/dev/sda1 of=/dev/sdb1
> 5) dd if=/dev/sda2 of=/dev/sdb2
> 6) make the new HD bootable
> 7) disconnect the old HD
> 8) boot
>
> My questions...
>
> - Is this basically the right procedure?
> - Do I need to boot to the rescue CD or would single user (or emergency) mode be good enough (in step 2)?
> - Exactly what steps are required to "make the new HD bootable"?
> - Is there a way for me to make the old hd "unbootable" so I can leave it in, but make sure it's the new one that boots?

Why?

A problem with having both drives present arises from the way RH has
been mounting drives by label for years. My early experiences was that
the wrong filesystem gets mounted.

I think having two of these isn't good, too:
/dev/VolGroup00/LogVol00

Note that the new drive cannot be smaller.
Note that if the new drive is larger, you can use the extra space as new
partition(s) and/or expand the adjacent partition. If you google my name
and resize2fs you will find my earlier writings on the subject.

--

Cheers
John

-- spambait