Google Earth

Sjoerd Mullender sjoerd at acm.org
Thu Jan 10 22:45:44 UTC 2008

On 2008-01-10 22:14, Chris Jones wrote:

>>    This is hard to explain, but in a non-root terminal I put glxinfo |
>> grep direct and my screen went blank, much like it does with google
>> earth, and after a few seconds I had to reboot from init level 3!
>>
>>    It appears glxinfo is not working right on my F8.
>
> Hate to tell you, but if running glxinfo causes your machine to drop to
> init 3 (i.e. X dies) then your system is terminally unwell. This is not
> normal.
>
> If I recall correctly you have installed the nvidia driver yourself,
> using the nvidia installer ? I would suggest this is screwed up.

I have seen this happen.  The problem was, the nVidia GL library was
overwritten by the system GL library causing a fatal (for X)
incompatibility as soon as GL was touched by the X server (e.g. when
running googleearth of glxinfo).  This can happen when the Fedora GL
library is upgraded or reinstalled after the nVidia driver was
installed.  This can happen when you use the nVidia installer, but not
when you use a packaged RPM (I recommend freshrpms.net since it does not
need to be updated when there is a kernel update).

--
Sjoerd Mullender