License Issue

Jason Viloria jnvilo at gmail.com
Mon Jan 14 15:22:21 UTC 2008

Alan Cox wrote:
> On Sun, 13 Jan 2008 17:17:09 +0300
> "ismail bushar" <sam33ool1 at gmail.com> wrote:
>

>> Hi all, I knew for fedora am free to anything I want in the any way I like
>> but if the issue coming to RHEL
>> we are trying to install RHEL in our pc's we have hundered of pc's in
>> different location but it's owned by only one company, so my question is:
>>
>> should we buy only one RHEL and distributed in all pc's  or its depend
>> about  how many pc's we have and if there any way to read full license for
>> RHEL.
>>
>> I am talk specially about RHEL 5.0 or further official release. thanks
>>

> Really you want to ask Red Hat about this.
>
> RHEL is a support and services package rather than just bits of code so
> you need one license per supported system. If you have a large number of
> machines contact the sales department and talk about company wide
> licensing options.
>

> Alan.
> --
> Red Hat UK Registered in England and Wales under Company Registration No.
> 03798903 Directors: Michael Cunningham (USA), Brendan Lane (Ireland),
> Matt Parson (USA), Charlie Peters (USA)

If you need support for each machine then from my own experience I can
tell you you will need a separate license for each. Without a license
you won't be able to update from the the redhat repositories.

You could technically just buy one license, update only 1 machine and
copy over the RPMS to your own internal repository so you can still
update all the other machines from your repo although I am not sure
about the legal ramifications on that one. Therefore this is just an idea.

If you do not need support from redhat then you will be better off
running Centos 5.1 which is a rebuild of Redhat.

br
Jason