Looking for a fast printer

Tom Horsley tom.horsley at att.net
Mon Jan 14 22:15:31 UTC 2008

On Mon, 14 Jan 2008 14:57:12 -0600
Thomas Cameron <thomas.cameron at camerontech.com> wrote:

> Anyone got any real world experience with good cheap black and white
> printers that don't cost an arm and a leg to operate?

I just got a Brother HL-2040 because it was the cheapest B&W laser
printer I could find, but despite that, it works quite well. It claims
20 ppm (I've never timed it), and it just worked after I went through
some printer alignment to get the margins set (which I documented
at http://home.att.net/~Tom.Horsley/linux-tidbits.html so I'd
remember how to do it next time).

I did notice it has two replaceable parts, the toner cartridge and
the drum unit, and the replacement drum unit costs more than the
printer (I don't think I'll ever replace it :-).