Looking for a fast printer

John Summerfield debian at herakles.homelinux.org
Mon Jan 14 23:26:29 UTC 2008

Thomas Cameron wrote:
> All -
>
> I am looking for a fast printer for home which will Just Work(TM) with
> Fedora.  I print primarily black and white, so that's the main desire.
> I've seen a couple of inexpensive color/black and white printers that
> boast up to 40 ppm but they seem to use a ton of ink and refills are an
> arm and a leg.
>
> Anyone got any real world experience with good cheap black and white
> printers that don't cost an arm and a leg to operate?

If your need for colour is minimal, I suggest two printers:
1. A laser printer that does (or emulates) Postscript. I have a Kyocera
chosen for its lowest running costs, but wish I'd got a duplex model. If
you think you might want photocopying and/or scanning, HP has good
support for its multifunction devices such as the laserjet 3032/3035
(the latter does fax too), but neither of these does duplex.

2. A colour inkjet. HP and Epson are good choices; an important
differences is that (at least for the cheaper printers), HP ink carts
include print nozzles/heads, if one becomes blocked then replacing the
cart replaces the problem, whereas a similar problem with an Epson means
new printer. Consider whether you want to print CD/DVD media or photos,
these are possible with various inkjets but not with laser printers.

If you would like to do more than a few colour pages a month and do not
want to print photos or on CDs, then a colour laser makes sense. I've
not tried any, but I would expect all but the cheapest to just work. I
would google though.

Cheers
John

-- spambait