Updates SOLVED!

Karl Larsen k5di at zianet.com
Tue Jan 15 16:02:35 UTC 2008

Nigel Henry wrote:
> On Tuesday 15 January 2008 03:40, Craig White wrote:
>
>> On Tue, 2008-01-15 at 00:04 +0100, Nigel Henry wrote:
>>
>>> On Monday 14 January 2008 19:50, Karl Larsen wrote:
>>>
>>> Putting Synaptic to one side, and after having done the apt-get update,
>>> you can simply type.
>>> apt-get install vlc
>>>
>>> To say the least, it will be interesting to see if apt-get has any
>>> problems with the vlc package, especially as you've had problems
>>> installing it with Yum.
>>>
>> ----
>> I really have to admire the ingenuity...telling someone that is stepping
>> on their dick with cross repo contamination from yum to use apt-get.
>>
>> I'm going to monitor this thread for sure
>>
>> Craig
>>

> The only reason I suggested apt-get, is that he would be effectively starting
> with a clean sheet. I gave him the URL for adding freshrpms
> to /etc/apt/sources.list, so he then could do an apt-get update, which would
> download the package lists for the first time with apt-get, for fedora
> updates, everything, and "only" freshrpms. Livna not entering the equation.
>
> Then an apt-get install vlc  may have printed out some usefull info.
>
> If he does have some problem with Yum, trying with Apt, if Apt worked ok,
> might confirm it.
>
> He doesn't appear to have read what I said though, as now he's trying to get
> apt-get to get vlc from Livna.
>
> I'll post him back on list, and try and find out what he's done.
>
> Nigel.

    Hi Nigel, I wanted to see if apt-get would work with livna and found
out it doesn't as I sent you. I am now looking at removing yum from this
F8 and from the F8 DVD re-load an entire new yum.  But not yet sure I
can do that.

    But it doesn't matter much. This is just fun to see if old time
methods work. If not nothing much lost.

Karl

--

	Karl F. Larsen, AKA K5DI