Linux Friendly Hardware Database ??

Ed Greshko Ed.Greshko at greshko.com
Thu Jan 17 02:55:27 UTC 2008

John Summerfield wrote:
> Michael A. Peters wrote:
>> Many moons ago I bough a Sony DVD burner.
>> It worked in Linux from day one - worked extremely well.
>>
>> I finally ran out of my supply of DVD-R and bought another 50 spindle.
>> It will not burn to them - first spitting out the disk and sucking
>> back in, and then failing when it comes to the burn.
>
> I recently bought a spindle of 50 CD-Rs.
>
> The first three I burned were in non-sony drives (pioneer DVD burners
> except I don't recall whether one of the three attempts were in my Mac),
> and all three were coasters.
>
> I don't recall having CD coasters resulting from burn errors before.
>
> It happens I have a Sony CD burner, came with my thinkcentre. It can
> burn the CDs.
>
> Sony's on my no-buy list.

????

You made coasters on non-sony drives.  You have used a Sony CD burner and it
can burn the CDs...and Sony is on your "no-buy list"?  Sorry, the logic
escapes me.

FWIW, I've got Sony DRU-830A and have yet to burn a coaster on any media.

I've used/had multiple vendors drives.  All of them "just worked".  I've
never found the need to update firmware.  I've learned, a while back, not to
  get to cheap on the media.