F8 is a problem

Karl Larsen k5di at zianet.com
Sat Jan 19 16:00:42 UTC 2008

Michael Schwendt wrote:
> On 19/01/2008, Craig White <craigwhite at azapple.com> wrote:

>>> Doesn't surprise me. I also reinstalled F8 on Sun 09 Dec 2007, but
>>> after more problems than losing only pulseaudio and related gstreamer
>>> components. Too many untested or poorly tested updates are published
>>> for F8. It is a moving target.
>>>
>> ----
>> is there something unstated here?
>>
>> do you lack enthusiasm for the switch over to pulse audio?
>>

> No, it's an interesting effort with good goals. Actually, I would
> welcome any changes that would hide "ALSA", "OSS", and low-level audio
> device names from the user of a modern Linux desktop.
>
> I lack enthusiasm for a never-ending flood of updates that turned F8
> into something that worked less good in comparison with its several
> test releases.
    This I noticed too. There seems to be something besides the problems
I was trying to correct going on. This is a stark thing when compared to
the good effects updates had on F7. It was pretty bad before the updates
improved it to the current state.
>  Even without using "root" to do any bad things to my
> installation, more and more components malfunctioned. Some refused to
> work and some became binary incompatible even requiring rebuilds and
> further updates. Overall, I've had the feeling that all those software
> version upgrades moved away the distribution too quickly from the
> tested gold release of F8 and ought to have been tested longer and
> painstakingly first. And that possibly it mattered much when exactly
> to apply updates. For example, that skipping one package release
> increased the chance of causing problems whereas applying every
> package release would have worked (or vice versa). Without a doubt,
> the updates for F8 that I installed up to Dec 9th broke my
> installation in multiple ways. Up to a point where reinstalling became
> the more convenient option than debugging XML files, IPC and component
> installation and registration and spending additional time in a bug
> tracking system that's slow like a snail and also user-unfriendly.
>
> You never mentioned Nvidia which is a thorn in my side. I can't get Fedora to send me updated Nvidia drivers with each new kernel because I can't find the right rpm on the non-fedora repo called freshrpm.repo. The addition of that repo srewed up my yum to the point I re-loaded F8.
    I thought it was all my doing that was causing my problems. Nice to
hear there are deeper problems that are assisting my trouble. Somehow I
got update to send me the Nvidia drivers along with each new kernel on
F7. I will stay here.

Karl

--

	Karl F. Larsen, AKA K5DI