F8 is a problem

Jim Cornette fc-cornette at insight.rr.com
Sun Jan 20 05:04:03 UTC 2008

Mikkel L. Ellertson wrote:
> Jim Cornette wrote:
>>
>> Thanks for pointing out the additional options. My wife put all of my
>> accessories away and I only recently found the DVD burner. The other
>> computers are here and there so a DVD is the best option since they
>> vary with manufacturer.
>
> I am not sure I follow this. I upgraded a Toshiba laptop and a home-brew
> desktop using the USB stick and the DVD .iso loop mounted so my web
> server could serve it out. I think you can serve out the DVD image
> directly, but this way the server, and not the install machine,
> processed the DVD image.

Basically making a DVD is good enough for me. Some of the computers are
older and may not be usb stick bootable.

>> I like the USB stick idea and will investigate it later.
>
> The USB stick takes the place of the boot CD. It does not have to be
> that big. You do not have to put the DVD image on it.
>
>> I guess I'm getting less enthusiastic about downloading a DVD so
>> often. I upgraded some Internet available computers from F7 to F8.
>> Since people refer to not being able to upgrade with F8 and need to do
>> a clean installation, I see no hurry to burn a DVD. The target
>> computers are upgrades from several years ago, from memory around 2004
>> and going strong.
>>
> I have done a yum upgrade in the past. But there were enough changes in
> packaging in F8 that it did not work for me. I think I could have solved
> it, but it was not worth the effort.

It was not that hard to accomplish. I'm sure that if the installer on a
DVD version would upgrade, i would be a much simpler task.

>> I truly would like to see an upgrade which offered new packages for
>> installation instead of just doing a straight upgrade and not offering
>> the improvements/changes.
>>
> There is a new yum plugin that is susposed to help with this. I have not
> researched it, but I did notice it when looking at yum plugins.

This sounds like an ideal feature for a tool for yum. I'm looking
forward to something that can get the new features for upgraded systems.
Thanks for the information.

> Mikkel

Jim