F8 is a problem

Les Mikesell lesmikesell at gmail.com
Mon Jan 21 16:56:19 UTC 2008

Karl Larsen wrote:

>> You've either missed or forgotten something very, very basic in this
>> process.  You click on the URL for the right livna-release-xxx rpm,
>> (and I know the link has gone by several times in related posts
>> recently but I'm too lazy to look them up for you). The browser will
>> offer to install it for you - or you could download the rpm and
>> install it manually. After doing this you will have the livna repo
>> added to your yum configuration and can use 'yum search nvidia' to
>> find nvidia related things in configured repos and 'yum install ....'
>> to install packages you find.
>>
>    Should I install ALL the files it finds? Here is what I got and it is
> impossible to do anything.
>
> [root at k5di ~]# yum search nvidia
> livna                     100% |=========================| 2.1 kB
> 00:00    fedora                    100% |=========================| 2.1
> kB    00:00    updates                   100%

[big list deleted...]

> I can't tell which is for my F8.

That's the reason you use yum. It will match up with your installed
kernel and pick up any dependencies.

yum install kmod-nvidia

should be all it takes (advice that has previously been mentioned
recently...).

Or, from the rpm.livna.org page, follow the "Why switch to the
Livna-packaged drivers" link near the top, then read the section towards
the bottom of that page under "Com, Tell Me, How Do I Use This?".

--
   Les Mikesell
    lesmikesell at gmail.com