VNC and native X display with vnc.so [Was: Re: more Fedora Cookbook: VNC]

John Summerfield debian at herakles.homelinux.org
Thu Jan 24 14:40:13 UTC 2008

Robert P. J. Day wrote:
> On Tue, 22 Jan 2008, Les Mikesell wrote:
>
>> Robert P. J. Day wrote:
>>>   on the server side i then restarted X (init 3; init 5) and, from the
>>> client side:
>>>
>>>   $ vncviewer 192.168.1.4:0
>>>
>>> and, lo, i get a VNC window, but it looks like crap -- jagged
>>> graphics, underneath which you can vaguely see that, yes, it is
>>> trying to represent the remote desktop, and the remote control
>>> does work but, clearly, i have some work to do here.
>> As I recall now, that's why I quit using it. I was getting one chunk
>> of the screen twice and the rest was fuzzy.  I think I got some
>> advice suggesting it was related to the underlying video card but I
>> gave up and haven't noticed any announcements saying it was fixed.
>
>   i can appreciate that -- i've tried invoking vncviewer with various
> encoding formats and such and the end result is the same -- massive,
> stairstep-type jaggies to the point where you can *vaguely* see that
> there's a desktop underneath, but it's utterly illegible.
>
>   however, there is reason to be optimistic.  you referred to this
> page for assistance:
>
> http://forums.fedoraforum.org/showthread.php?t=162314
>
> which recommends a whole *buttload* of changes and additions.
>
>   as i mentioned, i got as far as i did with only the following
> changes to the server's /etc/X11/xorg.conf (forgive me for repeating
> myself):
>
> Section "Screen"
>         Identifier "Screen0"
>         Device     "Videocard0"
>         DefaultDepth     24
>         SubSection "Display"
>                 Viewport   0 0
>                 Depth     24
>         EndSubSection
>         Option "SecurityTypes" "None"     <-- added this
> EndSection
>
> Section "Module"       <-- and these three lines
>         Load "vnc"
> EndSection
>
>   i just wanted the absolutely minimal config that would get this
> working.  and after restarting the X server, aside from the crappy
> display, it does work -- on the client side, even though i can barely
> see what's happening, i can look at the desktop on the server to
> follow the action, and the mouse and the keyboard work perfectly.
>
>   in short, i'm willing to believe that it's actually working
> properly, i just need to figure out how to fix the display on the
> client side from looking like crap.  and, on that note, i'll leave it
> alone for now but i'll be happy to test any suggestions that come my
> way.  after all, this really is a handy enough feature that it would
> be a shame to get this close and not get it working fully.
>
> rday
>
> p.s.  depending on the web page i read, there are two suggestions for
>
> first:
>
>   Section "Module"
> 	Load "vnc"
>   EndSection
>
> second:

> [...]

I just implemented this to share my F8 desktop (potoroo).

I restarted X, then connected using (real)vncviewer from tikanga-clone
(numbat). The login screen came up blank (I could see the login screen
at the next computer) so I moved over to investigate.

As soon as I started to do stuff, it came up on numbat.

The screens are the same dimensions, so I have a proper full screen on
both, except that on numbat I seem to have a virtual screen somewhat
(inches) deeper.

I tried also from my laptop, a Thinkpad (finch) with an internal screen
1440x1050 but also running another monitor at 1280x1024 so the screen
slops around quite a bit on the external screen.

Performance (down a wireless link, up the same one then across another)
was pretty shocking. Finch runs opensuse 10.2 and opensuse ships with
tightvnc. After a few eons, the screen got drawn but the mouse cursor
wouldn't move. tightvnc is prone to crashing, so I have that away.

btw I do believe that vncviewer example.lan::5900 works with tightvnc too.

--

Cheers
John

-- spambait