Grub problem, can't boot.

Karl Larsen k5di at zianet.com
Thu Jan 24 23:47:54 UTC 2008

John Summerfield wrote:
> Les wrote:
>
>> alternatively boot the cd in rescue mode, or use knoppix to boot the
>> system from CD, mount your system disk and edit grub.conf again.
>
> That's way more difficult (new where did I put that CD?) and slower;
> using grub's facilities you go straight in.
>
> It's how I booted Windows on my F8 system when F8 forget to put it in
> the menu.
>
> Les, you should try it.

    Here is how I do it. I boot up with the rescue DVD and when up I
start with fdisk. I use this to see where things are. Use this as #
fdisk /dev/sda and that will show you the first hard drive. Do the same
for each HD and turn fdisk off by entering q.

    I write down all the information found. Your interested in the grub
root which looks like (0,4) and the name fdisk gave your partition. An
example will help.

    Say your boot partition was /dev/sdb5. And you want to put the grub
boot message on the same partition. You can do this while on your rescue
disk by typing grub and it will come up.

    Now your boot partition /dev/sdb5 = (1,4) in grub language. We want
to go from the grub in this partition to a grub setup on the same partition.

    While still in grub mode type root hd(1,4) and grub will tell you
it's a ext3 file.
Next type setup hd(1,4) and this will print out a lot of information you
don't care about.
    Now type quit.
The grub goes away.

    Now reboot and come up in your F7 I think it is. There in a root
terminal edit your /etc/grub.conf file. Use chainload and the root will
be hd(1,4) and the kernel will be /dev/sdb5.

    I use this all the time.

Karl

--

	Karl F. Larsen, AKA K5DI