Reinstall GRUB?

Mikkel L. Ellertson mikkel at infinity-ltd.com
Fri Jan 25 23:50:57 UTC 2008

Doctor Who wrote:

> I can boot into Fedora via grub from another Linux install.  I assume
> that will make things easier (making the edits from within Fedora
> itself).  Can someone outline the steps to find out what the grub (and
> fstab??) entries *should* be and the best (read Fedora-way) to change
> them?
>
> Thanks.

If you know how the drive map changed, you can adjust by that. For
example, if the original drive is BIOS drive 80 (Grub hd0) and
Fedora was on BIOS drive 81 (Grub hd1), but when you added the new
drive, it became BIOS drive 81 (Grub hd1) then the Fedora drive
becomes BIOS drive 82 (Grub hd2). You can check the drives using
either "fdisk -l" (It does not show labels) or "parted -l" that will
display labels. If you have X, you can use gparted or one of the
other GUI interfaces to get the information. Be aware that parted
will scan all the devices, so it may take a little while before it
displays anything. (It will check the floppies and USB drives as
well as the SATA drives.)

 From what you have said, it sounds like all the /dev/sdb? became
/dev/sdc?. Also, all the Grub hd1 entries have become hd2. (hd1,0
becomes hd2,0). When you run grub-install, you are going to want to
use the --recheck option, or edit the device.map file and add:
(hd2)     /dev/sdc

Mikkel
PS - I am probably not going to be here too often tonight and
tomorrow, so if someone else can take over, it would speed things up.