NetworkManager-0.6.0 compile error 28pre9

Mikkel L. Ellertson mikkel at infinity-ltd.com
Mon Jan 28 18:05:38 UTC 2008

Robert P. J. Day wrote:
> On Mon, 28 Jan 2008, Frank Cox wrote:
>
>> On Mon, 28 Jan 2008 21:24:52 +0530
>> Yogesh Patil <yogesh at technotux.net> wrote:
>>
>>> checking for wireless-tools >= 28pre9... no
>>> configure: error: wireless-tools >= 28pre9 not installed or not functional
>> yum install wireless-tools-devel
>
> if that's the solution, then that's a bug.  if a build needs
> wireless-tools-devel, it really should be pedantically accurate about
> it.
>
> rday

Chances are, the error is from the config script in the original
source archive, and it does not know it is being compiled in an RPM
environment. So it generates a generic error message that is
distribution independent. The person building the package has the
responsibility of making sure the development package is installed.

About the only way I can see to get around it is to combine the
development packages with the program/library packages they go with,
eating up a lot of extra disk space for things most people do not
need. Patching the config batch file to show the correct package
names, taking a lot more of the packagers' time. Or educating the
users building packages about development packages.

Personally, I favor educating the people building packages. But I am
somewhat of a geek, and that affects my views of things.

Mikkel