request_module: runaway loop modprobe binfmt-464c

Reik Red reikred at gmail.com
Mon Jan 28 20:06:16 UTC 2008

Mikkel L. Ellertson wrote:
> Reik Red wrote:
>> Hello,
>>
>> The boot sequence of my fedora 7 (x86_32) machine hangs with multiple
>> messages that state
>>
>>  request_module: runaway loop modprobe binfmt-464c
>>  request_module: runaway loop modprobe binfmt-464c
>>  request_module: runaway loop modprobe binfmt-464c
>>
>> This happens ONLY when I have plugged in an extra IDE drive which
>> contains
>> a copy of fedora 8 (x86_64).
>>
>> I have gleaned from various web searches that the problem may be that
>> f7 is confused about and/or trying to execute some 64bit code from the
>> additional hard disk?
>>
>> Does anyone know how to get around this problem (boot hanging, that is)?
>> There is lots of hits on the web but I have not been able to synthesize a
>> solution from what I find.
>>
>> Reik
>>
> Dumb question - are you using partition labels or LVM? If so, are the
> labels the same on both drives?
>
> Mikkel

That sounds like a very good question, Mikkel!
Short answer is, no LVM, but there may be some partition labels
involved,

But wouldn't grub (or whoever decides these things) pick partitions
from the booted drive instead of some other drive, if they exist?

On the other hand, if I insert the offending hard drive into my fedora 8
system as a third drive, the system boots without problem.

What should I look for? Labels, grub.conf or /etc/fstab?

Reik