ever see an HP 1018 laser Jet? why do print job disappear?

Mikkel L. Ellertson mikkel at infinity-ltd.com
Wed Jan 30 15:51:15 UTC 2008

Paul Johnson wrote:

> Do you (anybody) agree that it is a pretty bad bug in CUPS that it
> does not report any trouble with this printer?  It thinks jobs are
> printing, but they don't.  Other times, when the driver is wrong, the
> jobs pile up in the print que and errors show in the CUPS
> configuration tool.
>
> pj

Its a bug, but it is hard to say if it is a CUPS bug, or a bug in
the print driver. If the driver does does not generate an error,
then CUPS has no way to know the print job didn't print normally. If
the driver does not report back at all, then CUPS does not know if
it is still printing, or what. I guess it could generate a timeout
error in that case. (But I have one printer that when you are using
manual feed will wait forever for you to push the button that tells
it you have loaded the paper.) If the driver returns normally, then
as far as CUPS know, everything printed fine.

Of course, if it is a CUPS drive, then it is still a CUPS problem,
but if it is a third party driver, then it is not really a CUPS problem.

Mikkel