Anoter update feasko

Craig White craigwhite at azapple.com
Tue Jan 1 02:47:44 UTC 2008

On Mon, 2007-12-31 at 17:54 -0800, Antonio Olivares wrote:
> > > I tried to get this up and got this:
> > >
> > > [root at k5di ~]# yum update
> **** removed for space and not needed ****
> > > --> Processing Dependency:
> > > /usr/bin/rebuild-security-providers for
> > > package: java-1.5.0-gcj
> > > --> Processing Dependency:
> > > /usr/bin/rebuild-security-providers for
> > > package: java-1.5.0-gcj
> > > --> Finished Dependency Resolution
> > > Error: Missing Dependency:
> > > /usr/bin/rebuild-security-providers is needed
> > > by package java-1.5.0-gcj
> > > [root at k5di ~]#
> > >
> > > The update for f8 is broken!
> > >
> > > Karl
> > >
> > > --
> > >
> http://www.fedoraforum.org/forum/showpost.php?p=845453&postcount=1
>
> for the "fc7" do a
> # yum list installed | grep fc7
>
> and hopefully someone comes through and confirms
> whether yum utils is the package that you need to
> remove the fc7 files
>
> http://wiki.linux.duke.edu/YumUtils

----
actually, I will confirm quite the opposite...

that on my local copy of F8 (Everything) that there are quite a few
items that have fc7 in the filename so that is really poor advice
(removing packages based upon file name) (estimated at 50+ and no
estimate on quantity in updates)

double checking packages via yum-utils 'package-cleanup' is not
necessarily a bad idea but you have to know which repositories you have
configured (and why) and be really up to date for it to provide accurate
information.

feel free to work with OP on these issues but it would seem akin to hara
kiri by butter knife

Craig