Anoter update feasko

David Boles dgboles at gmail.com
Tue Jan 1 03:08:53 UTC 2008

Craig White wrote:

>> **** removed for space and not needed ****

>> http://www.fedoraforum.org/forum/showpost.php?p=845453&postcount=1
>>
>> for the "fc7" do a
>> # yum list installed | grep fc7
>>
>> and hopefully someone comes through and confirms
>> whether yum utils is the package that you need to
>> remove the fc7 files
>>
>> http://wiki.linux.duke.edu/YumUtils
>>
> ----
> actually, I will confirm quite the opposite...
>
> that on my local copy of F8 (Everything) that there are quite a few
> items that have fc7 in the filename so that is really poor advice
> (removing packages based upon file name) (estimated at 50+ and no
> estimate on quantity in updates)
>
> double checking packages via yum-utils 'package-cleanup' is not
> necessarily a bad idea but you have to know which repositories you have
> configured (and why) and be really up to date for it to provide accurate
> information.
>
> feel free to work with OP on these issues but it would seem akin to hara
> kiri by butter knife

It was said that packages that did not need to be rebuilt would not be
rebuilt to save time for more important things. Look in your FC7 install
and you will see both FC6 and FC7 packages. Look in your FC8 install and
you will see FC6, FC7, and FC8 packages. There are packages with FC6,
FC7, FC8, and FC9 in their name in Rawhide. *If* there was an update,
for whatever release FC7, or FC8 it would be available.

It gets tiresome reading the 'panic attacks' does it not?

- --

  David