CD-less upgrade (Was: BlueTooth Issues)

Gilboa Davara gilboad at gmail.com
Tue Jan 1 11:17:38 UTC 2008

On Mon, 2007-12-31 at 18:56 -0800, Donald Reader wrote:
> Thank You everyone
>
> First I must apologize for the post as frustration got the best of me.
> I have been trying to
> read up on installing without physically burning the media and
> hopefully will be able to
> do that before long as for  now I have a client that is going to be
> doing a server move and
> can't afford for anything to go wrong with a new install at this time.
>
> Some good news is I did get a connection finally with the headset now
> all I have to do is figure
> out how to get the audio services up and running so I can use them
> LOL.
>
> To explain a little this is the very first time I have ever posted to
> a list for any help as I have always
> been gun shy of the fact that I have read lots of lists and forums
> where questions get answered with
> Read The Freaking Manual or upgrade system to the newest. It just
> seemed that is the way it was headed
> in my eyes. Again I apologize to the whole list and thank everyone for
> the responses
>
> Don

In theory, you can (re)install/upgrade fedora without burning a single
CD.

0. Backup. A faulty upgrade may kill your data. I'm serious. (And F8's
upgrade is known to be, err, sensitive...). Keep in mind that in
general, a fresh install (no matter what OS you are using) tends to work
better (cleaner, faster, etc) then an upgrade.

1. Download the vmlinuz and initrd.img files from any fedora mirror
(E.g. [1]) and copy them to your /boot directory.

2. Open (as root) /etc/grub.conf, and add the following entry using one
of your existing grub entries as template:

title Fedora 8 upgrade
    root (hd0,0)
    kernel /vmlinuz askmethod
    initrd /initrd.img

3. Save the URL from which you downloaded the files. (E.g. [2]) Write it
on a piece of paper.

4. Configure the network device.

5. Select HTTP installation, type the download URL.

6. Upgrade/install.

- Gilboa

(x86_64)
[1]