CD-less upgrade (Was: BlueTooth Issues)

Timothy Murphy tim at birdsnest.maths.tcd.ie
Tue Jan 1 12:40:01 UTC 2008

Gilboa Davara wrote:

> 0. Backup. A faulty upgrade may kill your data. I'm serious. (And F8's
> upgrade is known to be, err, sensitive...). Keep in mind that in
> general, a fresh install (no matter what OS you are using) tends to work
> better (cleaner, faster, etc) then an upgrade.

I completely disagree.
Upgrade and install both work exactly the same.
Have you actually tried both, or do you just _know_?

I don't know what you mean by "your data",
but /home should be on a separate partition,
not affected by upgrade or install.

As I recall, the OP was worried that the new system might not work.
In that case he would be better advised to do an upgrade, IMHO.
He still has the chance to do a clean install if there is a problem.
In other words, he gets two bites at the cherry.

A better solution, if he has the space,
is to do a clean install on another partition,
so that old and new systems are both available.

Personally, I would download and burn the KDE Live CD,
which will give some idea if Fedora 8 will run on his system.

--
Timothy Murphy
tel: +353-86-2336090, +353-1-2842366