Java problem

Rogue roguexz at gmail.com
Tue Jan 1 14:55:31 UTC 2008

Karl Larsen wrote:
> Ed Greshko wrote:
>> Karl Larsen wrote:

>>>    Returning to Java, I have installed the one from the Sun web site.
>>> It is an rpm with a wrapper that allows them to force you to sign
>>> something. Then it installs something but it must be incomplete.
>>>
>>>    I want java so I can load jedit so I can write to the wiki at the
>>> Fedora Doc's site. It is supposed to be simple. The jedit site said do
>>> this:
>>>
>>> $ jar jedit4.3pre12install.jar
>>>
>>> but alas there is no active jar on my Fedora. Earlier Fedora it worked
>>> but on F8 it doesn't.
>>>
>>> What have I done wrong?
>>>

>> I don't know what you did wrong.  But on my F8 system I did install
>> Sun's jdk (jdk-6u3-linux-i586.rpm)
>> and there is /usr/bin/jar.
>>

>    I looked and no /usr/bin/jar but there is a /usr/bin/java which lead
> to gij which seems to work but not. It did this:
>
> [karl at k5di Desktop]$ gij jedit4.3pre12install.jar
> jedit4.3pre12install.jar
>   at gnu.java.lang.MainThread.run(libgcj.so.8rh)
> Caused by: java.lang.ClassNotFoundException: jedit4.3pre12install.jar
> not found in gnu.gcj.runtime.SystemClassLoader{urls=[file:./],
> parent=gnu.gcj.runtime.ExtensionClassLoader{urls=[], parent=null}}
>   at java.net.URLClassLoader.findClass(libgcj.so.8rh)
>   at gnu.gcj.runtime.SystemClassLoader.findClass(libgcj.so.8rh)
>   at java.lang.ClassLoader.loadClass(libgcj.so.8rh)
>   at java.lang.ClassLoader.loadClass(libgcj.so.8rh)
>   at gnu.java.lang.MainThread.run(libgcj.so.8rh)
> [karl at k5di Desktop]$
>
> It appears that the jedit file may be bad.
>
> Geeze
>
> Karl

Karl,

If you are doing a default x86 Sun JDK install, you will find the
distributables in /usr/java/jdk.../bin directory. If you are using Java
6 then you should also see /usr/java/default and /usr/java/latest
symlinks pointing to the Java6 directory.

You could add /usr/java/default/bin to your path (either by modifying
/etc/profile file, or in any other file that you use to setup your
environment)

Now, you should be able to run whatever command that you wanted to run:
	java -jar XYZ.jar

HTH,
Rogue