NFS versus the firewall

John Summerfield debian at herakles.homelinux.org
Tue Jan 1 23:26:39 UTC 2008

Charles Curley wrote:
> On Tue, Jan 01, 2008 at 12:25:05PM +1030, Tim wrote:
>> Something has bugged me for ages about trying to use NFS between
>> machines on the LAN.
>
> http://www.charlescurley.com/nfs.html

That's nearly right, I think you found the same howto I did a while ago.

It's true that the ports used by NFS and associated services tend to
float and need to be fixed.

The correct, ootb way to do it I think I've already mentioned on this
list, and Amadeus W.M. has the right way for RHEL and its kin.

Tim, I think that the the "open NFS" checkbox should lock these ports. I
don't use the standard firewall tools; if it doesn't do that, then
perhaps you could bz it? It's a fair expectation that "allow access to
my NFS server" means do all things necessary to  "allow access to my NFS
server."

--

Cheers
John