32- versus 64-bit fedora on an AMD 64 mobile athlon?

John Summerfield debian at herakles.homelinux.org
Wed Jan 2 00:44:22 UTC 2008

Phil Meyer wrote:
> Robert P. J. Day wrote:
>>   moving on, i have a roomful of gateway MX7120 laptops (with AMD
>> 64-bit mobile athlon CPU) that i use for linux training and, until
>> now, i've just wimped out and installed the 32-bit version of fedora
>> on them for my clients, and that works just fine.
>>
>>   but i figure, why waste all that 64-bit computing power, so is there
>> any compelling reason to *not* upgrade them all to fedora x86_64 for
>> those courses?  that is, are there any real show-stoppers when it
>> comes to fedora x86_64 that would make that version unusable?
>> thanks.

> If you are having students compile stuff, then you need to stick to the
> lowest common denominator (32bit) or else they cannot use those compiled
> programs elsewhere.
>
> Also, plugins are not the only issue.  Sun's Java is only 32bit for x86
> arches.
>
> Other apps, like Lotus, which are Java dependent will have issues.
>
> Other commercial apps are likely to be 32bit only.
>
> Until MS and intel force the world to go 64bit, ISVs simply aren't
> interested.
>
> The same is true for multi-processing, which has been around for decades
> and is ignored by ISVs because MS tools ignore it.  And there is no
> other SDKs besides those that MS provides, is there?

I have been wondering how well Windows and Linux will exploit the
advantages of the Quads now coming out.

OS/2, were it still around in numbers, should cope pretty well, one of
the programming standards was that if a task might take more than a
certain about of time (and I think that that was .1 second, it was very
short to a human) then it should start a new thread.

Think of printing, do you really want to sit around while Firefox prints
something? I don't.

I use KDE, and there's an enormous amount of stuff that could be run in
parallel and is not, and I really do not like all those progress boxes
that pop up for a second's work.

--

Cheers
John